pic

pic

Friday 12 October 2012

The Caravilla- a final fling!


We're Caravilla bound this weekend, the first time in a while. We didn't get up at all in September- there was simply no spare time- so we're all really looking forward to it...even though I'm pretty sure that the October experience up there, will be a little different to the July/August one.
 The site'll be quieter for a start, it'll be dark by 7pm and I very much that doubt we'll see much of the ice cream van! I won't be packing any shorts and t shirts either- this time it'll be more fleeces and wellies, and the central heating & double glazing should definitely come into its own. (Thank God I put my foot down about that last May!)

I think the part that I'm looking forward to the most though, is wrapping up warmly and walking the beach. It clears my head and grounds me and I really need that right now.
You know how there's stages in your life, when change is in the air and decisions need to be made, and everything's a bit unsettling and scary...but exciting too? Well, we're sort of in the middle of a phase just like that, and I won't say any more right now because it's all swirling about in my head, and it'll probably be all change again tomorrow anyway...but bear with me, I will.
So I'm hoping that this weekend the beach walks will work their magic, and we'll begin to see our road ahead a little clearer.

Now there I go again-as usual I've veered completely off base, because what I actually planned to do, was to seek a little practical advice from any of you seasoned Caravilla owners out there. 
We've a final visit planned towards the end of the month, and then we'll have to close it up properly for the Winter. The pipes are being drained down by the site, but what of inside the van? What do I need to do? What can I leave up there and what should I take home? I've heard rumours of bowls of salt in every room. Is this true? Any advice or tips would be mucho appreciated. Till next time, my loveliesxxxx

10 comments:

  1. Sure an autumn weekend in Donegal will be gorgeous Em! I'm no expert on caravans but closed ours up last year and was given handy hints. Definitely go with the bowls of salt (or2!) in each room. You'll be amazed how much moisture they've taken up when you re-open in Spring. Pull your sofa cushions away from under the windows to avoid any condensation dripping onto the upholstery. And remember to empty your fridge, clean and leave door slightly ajar if you're turning it off. Have a fab weekend missus! B xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms B for the top tips-excellent stuff!

      Delete
  2. Emma all of the above as with B we also lift all the cushions of and the bed mattresses and leave them on their side. I leave duvets in vacum packs but bring linen home. Make sure your site manager has a key just in case ours usulaay goes in before start of season to give once over. We are shutting down too this weekend. Don't leave any wine you might needs it. Fi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rest assured, I won't leave the wine ;-) Thanks for the tips Fixxx

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you asked! I'm going to learn all sorts of handy hints :)

    We go back at Hallowe'en, but probably not much after that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us too! Closing it down at Halloween. Here's to no damp and mildew next Spring!

      Delete
  4. Donegal is beautiful at any time of year I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is....even when it's raining, which is pretty often!

      Delete
  5. We have a caravan on the banks of Loch Lomond. The first year we had it we put bowls of salt in every room before we closed it up. When we came back the following season we had quite a lot of mould to clean up. In the 9 years since we haven't bothered with the salt in bowls and have had very little mould. I think the salt attract the damp and it is very damp around Loch Lomond. We take all the bedding and cushions home at the end of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you- that's really helpful! I'm sure Loch Lomond is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete