pic

pic

Wednesday 6 June 2012

Carry on Camping!

With Cliff Richard back in mothballs, and Union Jack cupcakes half price, it can mean only one thing - Jubilee weekend has left the building. Then again, the best thing about a lovely long weekend, is the wee hop to the next one! Eight year old Cormac, has actually pronounced this to be his best week EVER - off school on Monday and Tuesday, school trip today, Family (so not!) Fun night on Thursday, and sports day on Friday. No doubt about it, summer's just around the corner.
On that theme, the big news around here is the decision to procure a mobile home,  because as those of us with larger than average families know only too well, unless your name is Brangelina, the bigger a family becomes, the more holiday choice dwindles. So called 'family deals' to sunny climes assume a neat family of four and not an untidy seven, and despite California dreamin', family holidays for us in the forseeable future, will probably involve renting a house somewhere in Ireland.
 Reluctantly, we ruled out the possibility of owning a second home, mainly because most of our first belongs to the bank,  but recently we began to flirt with the idea of a mobile home instead.  Now, everyone reliably informs me, that these aren't the mobile homes of old. No chemical toilets, plastic floor strips, folding tables and nasty tie backs, these babies are mini palaces, with central heating, double glazing, flat screens, en-suites, and huge wraparound decks! A home from home..better even.
So, it was with high hopes that we called at two suppliers yesterday. New to this game, it's a learning curve for me-for instance, I didn't know that the suppliers had ties into the sites themselves. You have to buy exclusively from them, and you can't buy any old piece of tat either. Most sites have a certain standard, and vans of a certain 'vintage' aren't allowed. With the recent recession, these rules have relaxed somewhat, but they're still very much the norm and some sites are stricter than others. Honestly? Between you and me, I wasn't nearly as gutted as Loverboy upon learning these particular guidelines. Oh aye,  I tut tutted along with him, but inside I was thinking 'Thank Feck for those snobby site rules, because God only knows what seventies flashback we'd end up in otherwise!'
Now, don't get me wrong, I understand his reservations about spending a fortune on a depreciating asset, especially as I'm not what one might call the outdoorsy type. A wardrobe of running shoes and fleeces make me slightly queasy, and when an experienced caravanning friend happily confided that she didn't bring any jewellery  at all, as though this was a good thing, I don't mind telling you, I was shocked. I mean, how much space do you need for one or two statement rings and a few key pieces? What's next, no make up?
But back to yesterday's window shopping. I had just spent a delightful half hour en route imagining myself, reclining on a plush sofa in my new 'holiday home', glass of Oyster Bay in hand, surveying our children frolicking  in the sand, through my double glazed floor to ceiling windows. Any lingering doubts, about my not being  cut out for this sort of holiday, had magically melted away. On arrival, greeted by the sight of rows of shiny new mobile homes, I was only too ready to embrace this new shopping experience. Our stipulation was a 3 bedroom, the bigger the better, not brand new, but definitely not old either. The owner nodded thoughtfully, then led us down through the park, passing lots of lovely, very acceptable looking vans....but he just kept on walking,  past row upon row of these glossy specimens, until he came to the back corner of the site. THEN he took out his keys.
What he's thinking....
What I'm thinking.....













Aghast, I looked at Loverboy, expecting to see the same horrified reaction, but no, he was already climbing enthusiastically  into the first rust bucket. 'Come on in, love. It's really very spacious.'
 'I'll give you spacious, as soon as we're back in the car', I thought, because it was suddenly very clear to me, even before I gingerly peered into the tatty, grubby interior, that he'd had a quiet word about certain unrealistic expectations and necessary budget restraints. Standing there in Caravan Siberia with tumble weed blowing past us, you probably won't be surprised to learn that we didn't reach an agreement yesterday, but negotiations are ongoing, so watch this space!


Today is the very last day to vote in the Mad Blog Awards! If you'd consider voting for me , just click here and pick me in the Family Life category! http://www.the-mads.com/vote.htm
It only takes a sec, and thank you very much!

22 comments:

  1. I have taken my high heels, jewellery, make up, choices of evening and day wear, fancy shower gels(hidden and only for me), books, wine, various coats, magazines, etc so defo room for all that stuff, the kids had to sleep on the roof mind you!
    Seriously there's plenty of room and you will love getting into the "caravan" mentality of chilling as soon as you shut the front door of your house to head off..
    Two must haves since mine were wee and big - deck of cards and board games. For the adults - yes yes wine and Guinness - but more importantly , relaxation and going with the flow.

    Enjoy. Bxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing what a glam queen you are, that gives me real hope!! Thanks Bxxxx

      Delete
  2. I'm half with you Emma. Caravanning wouldn't be on the top of my list of fun holidays BUT, the kids love it and if you give in, let go and get into the relaxed mentality of it, you can get used to it. My parents mobile home is in Waterfoot and it's a really lovely wee spot. We're gonna make a concerted effort to use it more this summer. I've committed myself to a full week in it in July (eek!). Don't know what advice I'd give you since I'm kinda singing from the same hymn sheet but I'd prob say give it a go! Bronagh X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bro- I appreciate your honesty- guess I just won't know til I try!

      Delete
  3. I love what you're thinking! We just got something not at all like that, but grand :) We're in the middle of nowhere and loving it. That may be something to do with a recent burst of good weather...

    3 bed vans on our site for sale, without the need for remortgaging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! Had a peek at your blog and love it- the pictures Of Donegal have me sold!

      Delete
  4. I have wonderful caravanning memories of my childhood, but am aware of the rose-tinted nature of memories. More recent camping this weekend in the wet weather of Wales makes me slightly less enthusiastic in my recommendations. However, kids don't mind rain and are happy to run around with their friends from the site and make up games and entertainment. Just remember that it is less of a holiday for Mum as your average mobile home is not catered, so meals still need to be planned and prepared.
    If you are unsure, consider a trial hire for a week this summer and then list the pros and cons to see if they match up to the cost. If so, start the hunt for your designer wellies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent advice Helen- thank you! But *sigh*no matter what we do there'll be the meal planning and the Washing for the foreseeable future!

      Delete
  5. Go Emma ! After experiencing Kims paradise I know you will relax and enjoy while the brood are all out exploring ... As discussed last week it was the glass of wine and good company that appealed fleeces and no makeup aside! It is all about the memories....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Nuala..sounds like you might be well up for getting one too!? ;-))

      Delete
  6. I share your woe. Five kids is a big ask gives you few options.

    But a great friend of mine once said to me about any type of holiday

    " let's face it being as my (the mum) happiness is pivatol in this while thing working then camping just isn't going to cut it"

    Which is why we are not camping this year. Borrowing parents caravan for a week but that tent is not
    Making an appearance!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a very wise great friend! I love that she said that. Can't wait to hear how your caravan experience goes Sarah-wise move to ditch the tent!

      Delete
  7. Mmmmm, we'll have to find something in between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed we will! Closer to one than the other though!

      Delete
  8. I always think that I would like a vintage caravan, all crocheted blankets and stuff, but know that the newer ones would be far better designed and considerably cleaner!
    Our thoughts have turned to summer soon, but with the weather like it is at the moment I'm not looking forward to the tent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean- those lovely rounded metal ones are lovely but probably not for all of us! Good luck with the camping & let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  9. It's not really technically camping though, not if there's bedrooms and plumbed in toilets. If it was based on your idea of a suitable mobile home then I am definitely in favour. You can then handily leave out the word mobile, oh just heading off to our home in Donegal for the weekend etc. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that is EXACTLY what I needed to hear! Thanks for that lovelyxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jennifer Boyle6 June 2012 at 23:32

    ha ha! well it will definitely provide good blog material...you have to do it just to tell us about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fionnuala Murphy7 June 2012 at 00:01

    Emma think you knowwhere I stand. I love it. Home away from home, have to say its v important to get a good friendly well run site, few and far between. Its great that Conor has his friends on the site relationships well established and parents talking of future years when they will still be going to the van and meeting their friends. Its great I love our van and our location is great. Give it a try I think you might surprise yourself. PS I can give you details where we got ours

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Emma
    Would you consider a top of the line "Trailer Tent" for about the same cost as a 30 year old caravan? At least you have experience!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had the enjoyable task of guarding 13 empty tent pitches in a fully booked campsite for a couple of hours while all the others from our village turned up a lot later than advertised. Bit of tent here. Ground sheet there. Sleeping here, here and here. Bikes strategically placed. It wasn't relaxing. And then there were the 13 tents to erect before the junior inhabitants turned up once school had ended. The joys of camping. Still... at least it wasn't as wet as standing by the Thames watching boats.

    ReplyDelete