pic

pic

Friday 3 August 2012

Caravilla continued ....

Seasoned caravilla-ers (too much!?) had warned me that the first season is one of stocking up and endless lists, and my goodness, they were right!  Car load after trailer load, after car load has disappeared into our double glazed, centrally heated tardis and I'm STILL scribbling lists.
 Unlike me, Loverboy is relentlessly optimistic- a few days before we go up, he confidently assures me,
  'Sure packing'll be wee buns this time- we hardly need anything!'
Behind the wall...
And lo and behold, it's with surprise every time, that he assesses the ever growing stockpile in the hall, and tentatively floats the possibility  of taking the trailer. (Ya think?) Then, (would you credit it!) doesn't it transpire that we actually need his dad's bigger trailer and off we go again, hours behind schedule, with more than a passing resemblance to the Hillbillies.
This one is our longest trip so far - 2 whole weeks. On board, as well as industrial quantities of Weetabix and toilet rolls, we had garden furniture, for the new deck on the caravilla.
 (Side note-it's just been built and it's fabulous! I should probably mention, that I'm a HUGE fan of dining al fresco, the kids understandably, not so much.
 'Away on, it's hardly raining at all- put up your hood and eat your dinner!')
But where was I ? Ah yes, the journey up with the garden furniture. You can imagine that with seven people,  a glass table, six chairs, and an umbrella as well as all the other 'stuff', we were at maximum capacity. Warnings were immediately issued, not to spontaneously open doors in case of random breakages and right up the middle of the car, a bit like the Berlin Wall, was the new table. Because of this, chit chat was somewhat limited up front , and there were lots of shouted conversations. Sweets and insults  were passed over the top of the wall, and to glimpse Loverboy at all, I had to squeeze my head round the front of the table, right beside the windscreen. This startled him every time, (which I childishly found amusing), but for safety's sake, kept to a minimum.
To be honest though, the novelty soon wore off...for all of us. The DVD player couldn't be put on  because the 'wall' blocked the screen and between this and the shouting, the  journey seemed longer. Oh, and then the rain started. Thankfully,  I had done a brief check on the contents of the trailer before we left and immediately clocked the  uncovered sheets and towels stowed on top. 'On no!' says I,  'that bag's not staying there- it's about to pour!'
 With stubborn optimism, despite ominous dark clouds AND the weather forecast, Yer man answered, ' Sure the sun's splitting the stones! It's gorgeous ....and anyway there's no room for it in the car'. Which was true, a rejig would have been necessary, but there was simply no way I was going up there to re-dry bed linen, just for the craic of it.
Placatingly, he said, 'Look, IF it starts to rain, I'll pull in, and we'll move it then.'
 I agreed grudgingly, but before we even got to the top of our lane, it had started to spit. A mile up the road and I was glaring meaningfully around the table at him, while the torrential rain beat aginst the windscreen behind me.
The Hillbillies on tour
  That was our first stop. The second, was a scheduled electric blanket buying trip to Argos in Strabane- it was on my caravilla list as an absolute necessity - and finally with it stowed safely on my knee, ( there was literally nowhere else ) we headed for Donegal.
Now we're finally here and unpacked and on our holliers, and between walks on the beach, films and popcorn, crab fishing, buckets and spades, Trivial Pursuit, 99's, fish and chips, coffee, wine, Lego, raincoats, books and picnics, it has all the makings of a good old fashioned Irish summer holiday. (With the bonus extras of Wifi, an electric blanket and Christian Grey, of course!). I'll let you know how it goes....




The Caravilla!

11 comments:

  1. memories of our first weeks many years ago, and I had prams too.

    DOuble dunk on the rain coats etc so you have to bring less each time.

    Christain Grey...ach no not you too...NOOOOOOOO! If its gotten that bad you'd be better off staying at home with a tv watching soaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep B- me too! I'm onto the 3 rd one and it's so bad it's good! And I am missing my Eastenders fix- does that make me a bad person!!?

      Delete
  2. Emma I have just had the best giggle at your wonderful synopsis. It's sounds like the best craic, which the Childer will never forget! X NG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That gives me inspiration and comfort!

      Delete
  3. Cracker blog Ems!! Flip Barr and I had a great old laugh there!! The caravilla is definitely the right move for the Horner clan!! And LoverBoy is right-they'll be less packing with each trip!! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. WiFi!!!! I'm grand without your double glazing/ central heating luxuries, but I would kill for wifi in our van :)
    Your packing also makes me feel moderate (there's only 4 of us...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know, it's a double edged sword! Restraint is required to switch off and force oneself to just read a book!

      Delete
  5. Always a giggle ! and as you say it is all about the memories !Enjoy and hope Mr Sun Shines !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thenks Nuala and the sun is most certainly shining right now, thank goodness :-)

      Delete
  6. So so jealous of ur caravilla!! Belfast alfresco dining isn't the same! Glad ur getting good use out of it! Sorry I haven't got round to doing ur meme thing yet but busy getting gallbladder removed !!

    ReplyDelete