pic

pic

Friday 9 August 2013

Radio Gaga

When we're up here we listen to Highland Radio in the car. The younger kids don't mind but the older ones roll their eyes .....and long for Cool FM. You see, It's a small, local station -on our way to Letterkenny yesterday for instance, we learned which priests were moving where, whose funerals were coming up (sooner rather than later), that a wallet had been found on Downings beach, and the numbers for the bingo for the €200 euro jackpot. We heard about three birthdays, a Christening ,two silver wedding anniversaries and an appeal for a lost dog in Gweedore.

From the roadshow outside 'Happy Days' supermarket, the chirpy DJ chatted to Irene from Creeslough and Betty from Florida. He put on his best American accent and told Betty that she really didn't need to buy that sugar -she was quite sweet enough, and she giggled girlishly at his Irish charm.

From there, he linked seamlessly into the underrated  'Shoo in the Donkey' song with the words 'It's five to three and time for tea, but where's the toilet cos I need to pee!?', by which stage, understandably enough,  the eye rolling in the back had reached its peak.

After the weather-Sure, it's gorgeous here, Betty must think she's back home in Florida!- there was a chatty lead into ABBA's 'Does your Mother know?'....except that it wasn't. He must have pushed the wrong DJ button because on came Roger Millar's ' King of the road', which was an unexpected surprise, so I just sang along  to that one instead.

Nope, cool it definitely ain't, but it's warm, it makes me laugh and I feel like I'm a local. Between you and me, I'm even considering putting in a song request for the Sunday morning show, especially for l'il ol' me from my scoffing offspring.....I'm thinking a couple of adoring sentences about their dearest mother, followed by all their names, plenty of Xxxx and Ooooo and a suitable song.....and yes I do have one in mind, as it happens. Let me know what you think.....and happy weekend lovelies!


4 comments:

  1. Oh Emma - in stitches here! Had forgotten how funny Irish local radio is...and that song cracks me up every time. Thanks for the cheering up today, Ax

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im heading to Downings myself at the end of the month and I think ill tune to the local radio....its true that you feel like a local if you do. Love your blog as it makes me smile each time I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ive seen this before and love it! hope you are having a lovely holiday hun x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your weekend. You've got to make that request!
    Look forward to hearing about the reaction!!

    ReplyDelete