pic

pic

Thursday 10 May 2012

The Best of Times

Oh my goodness me!! I'm as excited as I've ever been... Even more than when I FINALLY got a certain son, (no names J), potty trained. Even more than when Chris de Burgh sat on my knee while he crooned 'Lady in Red' in my ear. This is big - really BIG!!
Turning on my bashed up iPhone on this morning, I had a 'Congratulations' tweet from a fellow blogger - the fab Sarah -and to cut a very long story short, after a bit of too-ing and fro-ing, and checking and rechecking....and rechecking again, I found out that I've been nominated in two categories for the MAD Blog Awards!
Peeps, this is like the Oscars for blogs, so you can just call me frickin' Angelina Jolie. (Just today, humour me!) I couldnt believe it!  Still can't actually, and I'm almost afraid to even look at all the other finalists because I KNOW they'll be tote amaze but, you know what? Right now, I don't even care!
 One of the very first things that I did do was to phone my mum. Now, just to put you in the picture, she and the whole Interweb thing don't really see eye to eye- she once did a 10 week course on basic computer skills and announced, at the end, that all she now knew was how to use the mouse. End of. So to say that she's a bit baffled by the whole 'blogging' concept is an understatement. I mean, she still hasn't actually managed to access my blog, ('Is that all one big long word? What do you mean 'a slash?'), so, a while back I printed off a couple of my posts and to date, that's all she's ever read. But that didn't stop her making multiple copies, and then passing them out to friends, relations, neighbours, complete strangers..anyone actually.
Anyway, I rang her this morning and she answered the phone with a terse ' Is that you Emma?', which of course it was and SHE knew it was too, because it said so on her phone.
'Yes mummy, is everything OK? You sound a bit funny.'
She actually sounded like she was doing some kind of surveillance work, possibly undercover, but as it turned out, she was merely in the dentist's waiting room, which was apparently jampacked with eariwiggers, hence the loud whispering.  When I explained to her why I was phoning, she was (quietly) thrilled and I suspect still slightly baffled, but she totally got the whole trip to London thing. Then gathering herself, and in typical 'mammy' fashion, she put me over it all again.
'Okay, I'm writing this down now- tell me again, how many were nominated? And how many are finalists? And you're doing what exactly? I'm meeting your auntie M later, and I want all the facts in front of me'. Then, with a cheery ' I always said you should have done English A level!', off she went, to get her filling replaced.
I've been on a high all day myself- it doesn't matter that it's pissing down outside, or that in my excitement,  I broke two eggs and spilt fabric softener all over the floor, because I'm a FINALIST- Moi!  I even caught myself humming the stirring 'One Moment in Time' and I HATE that song!
I DID have a mini panic for about five minutes when I thought,  'FTLOG,  what if they actually MEANT it for 'AdventuresofasuperfitmotherIjustmadeitup' and I'll get a tweet saying 'Sorry, we're taking it back but here's a balloon instead.' But then I thought, 'Feck it, they'll have to (virtually) prise it from my cold dead fingers first!'
The truth is though, in this rambling, overexcited, roundabout way, what I'm actually trying to say is thank you very very very much,  because if YOU hadn't bothered your arse nominating me all those weeks ago, I wouldn't be reclining on this very cloud right now. I certainly wouldn't be dreaming of a Finalist badge glittering to your right hand side, or of a September trip to London, and now there's even the teensiest possibility of *whispering now* winning!  And yes, at a later stage, I'll probably beg, plead, cajole and even bribe you into voting again.... and I hope you will....but honestly, right here and now, is more than I ever dreamt of anyway, and I'm so very grateful to you for it. Oh dear...I think I feel another song coming on......

21 comments:

  1. Not only do you deserve it, but I ask my kids to 'hold on a minute till I write this down!' LOL

    BTW reviewers, readers, I am actually her friend, so do I get a wee bit of that reflected Glory!!!

    Angelina Jolie has nothing on you!

    ANd yes Loverboy if you can't take her to the gala I'll go with her...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda- I couldn't ask for a better +1 than you... But Loverboy is picking out ties as we speak! Thanks for everything lovely!

      Delete
  2. After reading this- no wonder you are nominated and you will definitely win!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! New dress and shoes in order, but aren't they always!
    I have voted already as the MAD team emailed me with the info today. I've hit a snag trying to find the 'Blog of the year 2012' catagory on the voting form, so could only vote in the family life catagory. However, I've emailed the awards team for info, so will update you if I find out more.
    I will definitely be emailing all the friends I know who are quiet readers of your blog and who nod knowingly at your experiences and laugh with you at the rest. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen- thanks so much for that- its funny D emailed them with the very same issue! Hopefully they'll sort it out. Thanks so much for all the quiet support and lovely emails - you're such a star!

      Delete
  4. Just found your blog through the MADS finalists page ... And lost an entire hour reading past posts!! So you are most definitely a worthy finalist :) Good luck ... and enjoy the awards night xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine- thank you so much- there is simply no greater compliment than that!

      Delete
  5. Mary (little sis)10 May 2012 at 23:42

    Dear oh, I'm still laughing at this post Ems!! That is my ma all over-writing all down!! Super duper proud of you Ems&the MAD nominations-you are a more than worthy finalist&im as proud as punch!! Londing here you come!! Mary xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Voted.
    Get in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! I hope you win!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a ****star****

    SO pleased for you and have voted! When you do come to London, stay long enough for me to meet you for a drink! I'm only an hour away!

    xxxxx

    p.s. I mean to say this every comment and now you're fabulous I will, PLEASE get rid of captcha on your comments! Grrrr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE that Sarah... And I plan on staying as long as I possibly can get babysitters for! As for the captcha thing- it's gone!! Thanks for that!

      Delete
  9. say to yourself "i am fabulous"

    you sure are.

    Come visit me too when you are on these shores :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fabulous ! *blushes* thank you Sarah - from one ma of 5 to another, it's all a bit exciting!

      Delete
  10. I wrote a lovely long comment on this yesterday but must have forgotten to do your captcha thingy and my words are now lost forever. Disaster! :-)
    Never mind, in short I just wanted to say I'd come over for a nosey at the finalists as I want to vote properly, not just plump for names I know. This post did make me laugh as we obviously have mothers from the same mould: mine always says, 'Ooh, you should write a book' when ever she reads a blog post she likes.
    You have a Rory! I have one of those.
    Best of luck in the awards. I can say that as you're not in my category!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Trish-I'm so sorry because I know that is the most annoying thing! Thanks so much for popping back! You'll be glad to hear the captcha thingy has been binned at last. Well done on being a finalist yourself- I'm looking forward to a good old read of yours too. I'm sure your mammy must be well proud! pS every house should have a Rory ;-)

      Delete
  11. Jennifer Boyle13 May 2012 at 18:24

    Voted of course, congratulations! You deserve it for your natural, honest but always classy style and all round good craic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny B- loving all your comments and missing you loads as alwaysxxx

      Delete